VMware Tools installation fails with Error 1722
- VMware Tools installation fails on a Windows 2003 virtual machine in ESX 3.5 Update 2
- You see the error:
Error 1722: There is a problem with Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.
- The Event Viewer event logs display the error:Action VM_RegisterVCBSnapshotProviderService, location:
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI67.temp, command: -register "C:\Program Files(x86)\VMware\VMWare Tools\Drivers\vcc\VCBSnapshotProvider.dll" "VMware Snapshot Provider" "vmvss" "VMware Snapshot Provider"
To fix a VMware Tools installation on Windows 2003 in ESX 3.5 Update 2:
- Follow the instructions in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301919/EN-US/.
- In Windows Services (services.msc), ensure that the following services are enabled. If they are not enabled, enable them.
- COM+ System Application
- Distributed Transaction Coordinator
- Try the installation again.
If the above steps do not resolve the issue:
- Download Orca (PSDK.exe) at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/255905.
- Double-click the Orca.msi file in the \Microsoft SDK\bin folder to install the Orca editor.
- Click Start > Programs > Orca.
- In the virtual machine, click Install VMware Tools but do not follow the wizard.
- Explore the VMware Tools CD mounted on the guest.
- Open the VMware Tools.msi file.
- Choose Binary on left pane and double click the comreg.exe data column on the right pane.
- Click Write to Binary file, browse to C:\, and click OK to save the comreg.exe file to C:\.
- Open a command prompt and run the following command:
C:\comreg.exe -register "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss\VCBSnapshotProvider.dll""VMware Snapshot Provider""vmvss""VMware Snapshot Provider"
- Try the VMware Tools installation again.